Sensor Tower has just released its State of Mobile Gaming 2022 report, which is packed with interesting trends and insights.
So here’s a quick digest of the more intriguing data points:
- Q1 2022 worldwide mobile game revenue broke $21bn, but was down 6% YOY
- Mobile game downloads for the same period were stable at about 14bn
- U.S. player spending declined by 10% YOY to $5.8bn in Q1 2022
- Japan revenue also decreased in the same period by 18% YOY to $4.2bn
- Lineage W was the only new entry in the Q1 2022 top 10 grossing chart
- India was the largest market for mobile game downloads in Q1 2022 with 2.2bn installs – 15% of total worldwide downloads
- Brazil has cemented its spot as third largest market in terms of downloads, and could overtake the US soon if current trends continue
- Taiwan has overtaken Germany as fifth largest market
- Southeast Asian countries like Vietnam and Thailand are growing rapidly, with Argentina also on the rise
- RPG was top mobile game genre by worldwide revenue in 2021, followed by Strategy and Puzzle
- Action was the fastest-growing genre worldwide, with player spending rising by 58% YOY in 2021, largely driven by Genshin Impact
There’s plenty more insight in the full report.